Summary

G Clamp made by Paul Call, circa 1975 - 1985. It was found hanging on piece of dowel protruding from an external wall of the office in Area B2 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.

Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.

Physical Description

Metal 'C' shaped frame. One end of 'C' has a threaded hole in which is inserted a metal screw with sliding tommy bar at outside end of screw. Frame. Metal 'C' shaped frame with flared internal edging. One end of the 'C' ends is a flat round foot and the other end is circular with a screw hole. Screw and Tommy Bar. Metal threaded length with small smooth knob at one end and a larger smooth other end with hole across diameter into which is inserted a tommy bar.

More Information