Ink and wash drawing by David Armfield, 1954. The drawing depicts the construction of the enlarged Eildon Dam in the 1950s. David Armfield (born 1923) was part of the Australian Social Realist Art Movement; this drawing remained in his possession until exhibited at Social Realists Exhibition at the Melbourne Contemporary Art Gallery in July 1990.

The original Eildon Weir also known as Sugarloaf Reservoir was built between 1915 and 1928. Proposals to enlarge it were first considered in 1940, although Australia's involvement in World War II deferred commencement of the project until June 1951. The dam was enlarged by constructing a new wall on the downstream side of the original dam. The new dam was officially opened on 19th October 1956. As with other large construction projects many of the 4,000 strong workforce were migrants from Europe, Asia and South America.

Today Eildon has a capacity of 3392 million cubic metres, a catchment of 3885 square kilometres, a shoreline of 515 kilometres and a maximum depth of 76 metres. It provides irrigation for farmers in the Goulburn-Murray region and hydro-electricity.

Description of Content

Drawing - Eildon Dam

Physical Description

Raw wooden framed ink and wash drawing depicting construction of the enlarged Eildon Dam in the 1950s. The drawing shows workers, the dam wall, part of a crane and a concrete pour.

More Information