Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view through the garden of the south west corner of the building circa 1905. The postcard, which was sent to Miss E Pearse of Woollahra, New South Wales in November 1907, was printed in Prussia as part of the Victoria Stamp Market (VSM) series.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph showing a view of the Exhibition Building and gardens from south west. The sky at the top of the postcard is tinted pink and the flower beds in the foreground are tinted mauve. The postcard is from the Victorian Stamp Market (VSM) series of postcards. On the reverse of the card there is a handwritten inscription and address. There is no stamp but the card is dated 30 November 1907.

More Information