Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade and lake in the foreground, circa 1910. The postcard, which was printed in Great Britain, was sent to Miss S Taylor, Bryan Street, Invermay, Launceston, Tasmania.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade with the lake and trees in the foreground. The photograph is indented and surrounded by a white border. On the reverse of the card there is a handwritten message and address. The card has no date or stamp.

More Information