Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view of the lake and southern facade in 1904. The postcard was printed by Robert Jolley, Melbourne and was sent from Toolburra, Queensland on 24 August 1904 to J McGibbon Jackson, Woolwich Rd, Hunters Hill, New South Wales. Robert Jolley began postcard production in Melbourne around 1900.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph with a white border along the bottom. View of the Exhibition Building from the south east corner, with the lake in the foreground. On the reverse of the postcard, there is a handwritten address in black ink. In the upper right hand corner there is an orange one penny Queensland stamp, postmarked Toolburra, Queensland, 24 August 1904.

More Information