Summary

This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade with the lake in the foreground, circa 1911. The postcard, which has a handwritten inscription on the reverse, was printed and published in England by J Beagles and Co Ltd, London.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building showing flags flying atop the building and the lake in the foreground. The image is oval in shape and surrounded by an embossed border. The border is embossed with oak leaves, acorns, flowers and the words 'Sincere Greetings'. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten inscription in black ink. The card is dated 3 January 1911.

More Information