Summary

This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west facade through the small shrubs and trees of the garden, pre 1905. The postcard was sent to Miss E Langsford, Queen Street, Norwood, Adelaide and is dated 23 December 1905.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade with the garden and an unmade pathway in the foreground. A thin white border is on the left of the photograph and a wider white border is on the right, which contains a handwritten inscription in black ink. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten address in black ink.

More Information