This is a colour postcard depicting the eastern forecourt of the Exhibition Building including the French Fountain and statues, circa 1909. The postcard, which was printed in Germany, was sent from Melbourne to George Sorlik Esq, Tivoli Theatre, Sydney, New South Wales.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the eastern forecourt of the Exhibition Building showing statues and the French Fountain in front of the eastern annexe. The postcard is tinted green, blue and cream. On the reverse there is a handwritten inscription and address and a one penny Victorian postage stamp.

More Information