Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west facade with an unmade pathway and gardens in the foreground, circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was made by the Victoria Stamp Market.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted postcard of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building with an unmade pathway and gardens in the foreground. The sky is tinted blue, the building is yellow and the gardens are green. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information