Summary

This is a black & white postcard of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was printed as part of the Marlborough Art Series.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the south east corner of the Exhibition Building with the lake in the foreground. The photograph is an oval shape with a white surround and a border that imitates a decorated picture frame. The white surround is embossed. There is some filigree decoration in the corners. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information