Print depicting the Exhibition Building and western machinery annexe at the time of the Melbourne International Exhibition (MIE), 1880-1881. Flags can be seen flying from each parapet and central dome, and people are mingling at the building's entrances and on the paths throughout the gardens.
Following a competition held at the end of 1877 for a permanent Exhibition Building in Melbourne, the successful architectural firm of Reed & Barnes was announced in May 1878. Construction commenced in February 1879 and was completed in time for the opening of the Melbourne International Exhibition on 1 October 1880, although touch-up works continued for about a month after the opening.
The MIE was open until 30 April 1881. Over 1.3 million people visited the exhibition during the six months the exhibition was opening; Melbourne's population at the time was around 282,000.
Folder 52B: Building Views Exterior Prior to 1901.
Description of Content
Exterior views of Exhibition Building prior to 1901 Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens from the south west, 1880
Black and white wood block illustration printed on paper depicting the exterior of the Exhibition Buildings from a south western vantage point.
Obverse, below illustration, THE INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION, MELBOURNE.
Type of item
Overall Dimensions - Folded
415 mm (Length), 535 mm (Width)