A bottle stopper with a screw thread used as a closure for a bottle. This type of closure was patented by Frederic George Riley in England, July 7 1885. It was a common closure for aerated or non-aerated soft drinks in England and the colonies in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
This example of bottle closure relates to the local Melbourne soft drink manufacturing industry which flourished in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries with several companies operating. Aerated waters were a strongly promoted alternative to alcoholic drinks, for health reasons and particularly by those who followed the Temperance Movement.
Loy Bros Pty Ltd operated in Burnley, Melbourne, from the early 1920s, manufacturing aerated waters, cordials and beer.
Wooden stopper with screw thread and flat finger hold at top. Has an orange/red rubber seal.
Donation from Mr John Lancaster, 27/02/2014
Finger grip, top: 'LOY BROS'.
Type of item
40 mm (Length), 22 mm (Width)