Black and white group portrait photograph of the staff at the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd branch store and same day processing laboratory on Flinders St, Townsville, Queensland, in the 1930s.
This Kodak store was built in 1920, with the second story added in 1929. Upstairs was the processing lab for printing and developing, and downstairs was the retail shop. Out the back there was a dense tropical garden, shared by Kodak and neighbouring businesses. This is where the group are posing for their portrait.
This image is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
Group portrait featuring two rows of Kodak staff, one seated and one standing, in an enclosed garden with palms and other tropical plants and around them. There are 5 men, three seated and two standing, and 11 women, 4 seated and 7 standing. The women have their ankles crossed and the men have their knees wide.
Black and white photographic print, full plate, landscape format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, 6" X 8", Black & White
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
210 mm (Width), 165 mm (Height)