Summary

Copy of a medal bearing a portrait believed to be of Lucrezia de' Medici. The original medal, by Pastorino de' Pastorini, was made in about 1550. This uniface electrotype copy was made circa 1881 by Robert Ready. The original cast lead medal was from the collection of King George III then part of the British Museum collection (Reg: G3,IP.585). It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with an exhibition of Italian medals in the King's Library in 1881 and was acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed probably from the late 1880s.The electrotype is copper plated and toned.

Obverse Description

Bust of Lucrezia facing left, wearing a gown, an ear-ring, and with her hair braided and in a net; around, DIVA LVCRETIA

Reverse Description

Plain

Edge Description

Plain

More Information