Copy of a medal of Elisabetta Gonzaga in two halves. The original medal was made in 1495 by Adriano Fiorentino at Urbino. This Electrotype copy made circa 1881 by Robert Ready.The original medal was exhibited in the King's Library at the British Museum, London, in 1881 and is No. 52 in the catalogue of that exhibition. It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with that exhibition and publication and acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed in the late 1880s.
Elisabetta was the wife of Guidubaldo, Duke of Urbino (married 1486) and sister of Gianfrancesco III, Marquis of Mantua.
Bust of Elizabetta facing right wearing close-fitting robe, chain twice round neck, bare head with fillet, hair in long queue behind; around within two circles of beads, ELISABET . GONZAGA . FELTRIA . DVCIS . VRBINI .
Female figure, draped from waist, lying head facing right and resting against a barrier; she holds a cord from which a mass of flax or hair has just detached itself; around, HOC FVGIENTI FORTVNAE DIGATIS.
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 15/3/1976
Type of item
82 mm (Outside Diameter)
King's Library No.52
[Book] Keary, C F. 1881. Guide to the Italian medals exhibited in the King's library., 25-26 Pages