Summary

Copy of the obverse of a medal of Archbishop Filippo of Pisa. The original medal was made in about 1474 by Bertoldo di Giovani. This Electrotype copy made circa 1881 by Robert Ready. The original medal was acquired by the British Museum and later exhibited in the King's Library in 1881. It is No. 36 in the catalogue of that exhibition. It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with that exhibition and publication and acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed in the mid 1880s.

Filippo de Medici was Archbishop of Pisa from 1462 till 1474. In the King's Gallery catalogue, 1881, this medal is attributed to Antonio del Pollajuolo but it is now generally accepted that it was the work of Bertoldo di Giovanni (see Kress Collection p.49)

Obverse Description

Bust of Filippo facing left in cassock and surplice; around below within a tasseled cord from an archbishop's hat, PHVLIPPVS DE MEDICIS ARCHIEPISCHOPVS PISANVS; on a ribbon wound about the cord, VIRTUTE SUPERA (translation: Overcome by means of virtue); below bust, the Medici shield

Reverse Description

reverse not held (a depiction of the Last Judgement)

Edge Description

Plain

More Information