Copy in two halves of a medal of Lorenzo the Magnificent. The original medal was made in 1492 by di Giovanni, Bertoldo. This Electrotype copy made circa 1881 by Robert Ready. The original medal was acquired by the British Museum and later exhibited in the King's Library in 1881. It is No. 34 in the catalogue of that exhibition. It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with that exhibition and publication and acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed in the mid 1880s.
The King's Library catalogue, 1881, gives the artist as Antonio del Pollajuolo.
"Lorenzo de' Medici (1 January 1449 - 9 April 1492) was an Italian statesman and de facto ruler of the Florentine Republic during the Italian Renaissance. Known as Lorenzo the Magnificent (Lorenzo il Magnifico) by contemporary Florentines, he was a diplomat, politician and patron of scholars, artists, and poets. He is perhaps best known for his contribution to the art world, giving large amounts of money to artists so they could create master works of art".
Head of Lorenzo the Magnificent facing right; around, LAVRENTIVS . MEDICES.
Armed figure standing facing, head to right holding spear in right hand and parazonium in left arm; at his feet a captive with arm behind back and two river gods reclining on urns from which water issues; around, . OB CIVES SERVATOS .; in exergue, AGITIS IN FA / [C]TVM.
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 15/3/1976
Type of item
31 mm (Outside Diameter)
Kings Gallery.34 Kress.253
[Book] Keary, C F. 1881. Guide to the Italian medals exhibited in the King's library., 16 Pages
[Book] Hill, George W. & Pollard, Graham. 1967. Renaissance Medals from the Samuel H. Kress Collection., 49 Pages