Copy in two halves of a medal of Cardinal Francesco di Gonzaga, Bishop of Mantua. The original medal was made between 1461 and 1483 by Sperandio of Mantua. This Electrotype copy made circa 1881 by Robert Ready. The original medal was exhibited in the King's Library at the British Museum, London, in 1881 and is No. 19 in the catalogue of that exhibition. It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with that exhibition and publication and acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed in the late 1880s.
Francesco di Gonzaga, Bishop of Mantua and Cardinal was the younger son of Ludovico di Gonzaga, second marquis of Mantua.
Bust of Francesco facing left in cardinal's cape and cap; around, FRAN . GOZAGA . CAR . MAT . LIBERALITATIS . AC . ROE . ECCIE . IVBAR .
A cat sitting before a monumental pyramid, with incuse inscription, ENIQMATA; above, in clouds, and on ground, bow in case, shield, cuirass, helmet and quiver; around below, . OPVS . SPERANDEI
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 15/3/1976
Type of item
93 mm (Outside Diameter)
King's Library No.19
[Book] Keary, C F. 1881. Guide to the Italian medals exhibited in the King's library., 7 Pages