Copy in two halves of a medal of Bartolommeo della Rovere. The original medal was made in 1474 by Sperandio Savelli of Mantu. This Electrotype copy made circa 1881 by Robert Ready. The original medal was acquired by the British Museum and later exhibited in the King's Library in 1881. It is No. 17 in the catalogue of that exhibition. It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with that exhibition and publication and acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed in the mid 1880s.
Cardinal Bartolommeo della Rovere was the "third son of Rafaello della Rovere, Giuliano (Julius II) being the second son; nephew of Pope Sixtus IV by whom he was made bishop of Ferrara; d., 1495" King's Library catalogue, p.7
Bust of Bartolommeo in cardinal's cape and skull-cap; around, BARTHOLOMEVS . DE . RVVER . EPS . FERRARIEN . SIXTI . PP . IIII . NEPOS . &. C . R . DMVS
Shield of the Rovere family over which, bishop's mitre; around, . OPVS . SPERANDEI .; engraved in field divided by shield . ANNO. MCCCCLX / XIIII.
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 15/3/1976
Type of item
84 mm (Outside Diameter)
[Book] Keary, C F. 1881. Guide to the Italian medals exhibited in the King's library., 7 Pages
[Book] Hill, George W. & Pollard, John G. 1978. Medals of the Renaissance., 52-54, Plate 8.1 Pages