Copy in two halves of a medal of Giuliano della Rovere (later Pope Julius II). The original medal was made in the period 1447 to 1483 by Sperandio Savelli of Mantu. This Electrotype copy made circa 1881 by Robert Ready. The original medal was acquired by the British Museum and later exhibited in the King's Library in 1881. It is No. 16 in the catalogue of that exhibition. It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with that exhibition and publication and acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed in the mid 1880s.
Bust of Giuliano facing left in Cardinal's cape and skull-cap; around, IVLIANVS . RVVERE . S . PETRI . AD . VINCVLA . CARDINALIS . LIBERTATIS . ECCLESIASTICE . TVTOR.
On a two-masted galley sailing left, a woman standing facing left holding a long arrow in her left hand, and patting a dog with her right; on prow of vessel, a pelican, on stern, holding tiller, a cock; around above. VlTA . SVPERA .; around below, . OPVS . SPERANDEI .
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 15/3/1976
Type of item
75 mm (Outside Diameter)
[Book] Keary, C F. 1881. Guide to the Italian medals exhibited in the King's library., 7 Pages
[Book] Hill, George W. & Pollard, John G. 1978. Medals of the Renaissance., 52-54, Plate 8.2 Pages