Summary

Copy in two halves of a medal of Don Inigo d'Avalos, Marquis of Pescara. The original medal was made in about 1448-49 by Pisanello. This Electrotype copy made circa 1881 by Robert Ready. The original medal, acquired by the British Museum from the Bank of England in 1877 (Reg.BNK,ItM.9) , was exhibited in the King's Library in 1881 and is No. 9 in the catalogue of that exhibition. It is thought that this electrotype was produced in association with that exhibition and publication and acquired by the National Gallery of Victoria where it was displayed in the late 1880s.

Obverse Description

Bust of Inigo d'Avalos facing right in loose tunic and broad-brimmed hat from which a veil falls upon his shoulder; around, . DON . INIGO . DE . DAVALOS .

Reverse Description

A globe on which landscape of sky, land and sea; above, the shield of arms of D'Avalos and below the family motto, . PER . VVI . SE . FA . (Per voisi fa.); around below, OPVS . PISANI . PICTORIS .

Edge Description

Plain

More Information