Black and white photograph of Plant Engineer Rex Livett (right) and Superintendent Don Deveson (left) on a pontoon in the Sunshine Harvester Works' quarry. Livett and Deveson are checking the depth of the water in the quarry. The quarry was located at the rear of the factory's woodmill.

The Sunshine Harvester Works quarry was located on the corner of Service and George Streets, Sunshine. This site was originally a commercially-operated basalt quarry which extracted blue metal to construct roads, railways and concrete. The size of the quarry was 1.5 acres and approximately 100 ft. deep. The company purchased the quarry from Mr. W.T Roberts in 1951 and used it to dump waste.

Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Description of Content

Two men on top of a pontoon floating on water. One man is crouched to the left, holding a pen and paper while the other man is measuring the depth of the water with a piece of rope.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph on paper

More Information