Summary

One of a set of 47 original photographs of the Australian Federation celebrations in Melbourne 1901 to mark the opening of the first Federal Parliament of Australia. The photographs trace the Royal Visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York for the occasion, from their arrival in Melbourne on the Royal Yacht 'Ophir' at St Kilda Pier on 6 May 1901 to their departure for Brisbane at Port Melbourne Railway Station on 19 May 1901. The photographs include scenes of the Federation Arches throughout Melbourne, Illuminated City Buildings,'The Opening of Parliament', 'German, Russian, Dutch and American cruisers at Port Melbourne', 'Royal Review at Flemington Racecourse', 'Royal Yacht Ophir and British War Ships', 'The Russian Cruiser Cromoboi...' and 'State School Fetes at the Exhibition Building'.

Description of Content

Swanston Street, Melbourne, looking south from Flinders Lane showing the King's Arch during the Federation celebrations, May 1901. The Arch has effigies of the King Edward VII and princes Alexandra with the inscriptions: 'God Save The King' and 'Long May He Reign'. In the distance is the City [Municipal] Arch on Princess Bridge. The Nicholas Building is on at right in the foreground. Also visible on the left is St Paul's Cathedral.

Physical Description

Black and white, silver gelatin, photograph mounted on grey card.

More Information