Summary

Album of black & white photographs relating to the product engineering of the International Harvester 711 header harvester, taken between 1975 and 1976

Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.

The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.

Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958. The company also operated a Product Engineering Centre adjacent to its Geelong factory and in 1961 established a Proving Ground at Anglesea for product testing.

Description of Content

Factory photographs of IHC toolbars taken 1966-1968

Physical Description

Blue photograph album with three metal ring binders and multiple yellow album pages. Black and white photographs are mounted to most pages, some are detaching. [Photographs to be rehoused into an archival folder and album disposed].

More Information