A handwritten indenture for the voluntary liquidation of the McKay Harvesting Machinery Company Limited, dated 10th October 1893, and an Assignment from the Commissioner of Patents, dated 16th March 1894.
The Indenture and assignment is made between the McKay Harvesting Machinery Company (first part), William Goran Finlayson and Arthur Boyes, the liquidators (second part), and Samuel May, Commission Agent of Horsham , Friedrich Wilhelm Sallman, farmer of Dimboola, Friedrich Wilhelm Sudholz, farmer of Vectis East, and Hugh Victor McKay, engineer of Ballarat (third part).
The Indenture describes the distribution of the company assets including property rights, stock (new & used harvesters), duplicate parts, plant, Letters Patent, Bills of Exchange, and Promissory Notes. It lists the names of each debtor and the amount of debt, and the included Letters Patent.
The Assignment from the Commissioner of Patents is for entering Samuel May, Friedrich Wilhelm Sudholz, Friedrich Wilhelm Sallman and Hugh Victor McKay as joint proprietors of Patents 3621, 4006, 4095, 4939, 5575, 6205 and 9165, in the Register of Patents, dated 16th March 1894.
Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
Five foolscap sized sheets of off-white, lined paper with ruled margins, bound at the spine with green ribbon. Handwritten text in black ink. Red stamped text on each page. Handwritten initials in ink and annotations in pencil. Embossed common seal on final written page. Red adhesive dots. Right edge of sheets are singed or stained in two places.
Donation from Mrs. Cecil Newton McKay (nee Shaw), University of Melbourne Archives (The), circa 1970
First page, handwritten, pencil: ' 1/1/1 / Series B ' First page, handwritten, red ink: ' 1268 ' First page, handwritten, black ink: ' This Indenture made the tenth /day of October / one thousand eight hundred and ninety three / Between The McKay Harvesting Machinery / Company Limited the registered office of which is / in Lydiard Street Ballarat in the Colony of Victoria / and which Company is now being wound up / voluntarily under the provisions of the Companies Act / 1890 (hereafter called "the Company") of the first part ' [Further extensive handwritten text] ' Stamped, red ink: ' PATENT OFFICE / MELBOURNE VICTORIA '
Type of item
250 mm (Width), 385 mm (Height)