Two copies of the Minutes of Evidence Part IV (Metals & Machinery) from the Royal Commission on Customs & Excise Tariffs from the dates 5th April, 20th April, 26th April, 27th April and 28th April 1905.

It contains transcripts of evidence given by Arthur Green, Manager and Secretary of the Launceston Gas Company, Launceston, Tasmania; Hugh Victor McKay, Machinery Manufacturer, Melbourne and Ballarat, and representative of the Agricultural Machinery Manufacturers' Association, Victoria; John Mitchell, Agricultural Implement Manufacturer, Melbourne, Victoria, and James Moore, Manager for T. Robison & Co. Pty. Ltd., Manufacturers of Agricultural Implements, Spottiswoode, Victoria, and representative of the Melbourne Manufacturers of Stripper Harvesters.

Members present during the hearing were: Sir John Quick M.P. (Chairman), F. Clarke, J.S. Clemons, J. M. Fowler, G.W. Fuller, W.G. Higgs, T. Playford and G.W. Wamsley.

This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company’s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Physical Description

Two bound documents, foolscap size, off-white paper, brown paper front cover, printed in black ink. Two staples in spine. 70 pages. Extensive text. One copy has handwritten text in pencil on front cover (in addition to the archive number). Both covers are torn around the edges and have damaged spine and sellotape repairs.

More Information