Summary

Iron palm glove cutter removed from a bundle of iron glove cutters and paper and tin patterns. It is one of a number of glove patterns and cutters used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond. The heavy cutters date from the 1950s-1960s.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.

Physical Description

Heavy iron glove cutter. The cutter is shaped to form the outline of a palm, slightly rising at the top left hand corner to meet the base of the index finger. The top surface of the cutter is squared, and the bottom surface tapers in and is sharpened to a cutting blade. The iron is rusting.

More Information