Summary

Black and white photograph mounted on card that is damaged and in two pieces. Image comprised of two (once joined) photographs. Left side depicts scene of harvesters travelling in a processional line through the town of Ballarat and parked down a side street. They are located near a Brewery Store.

Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Description of Content

Two (once joined) scenes of harvesters travelling in a processional line through the town of Ballarat. The left side image shows a large crane gantry and harvesters parked in a side street.

Physical Description

Image damaged and now in two parts. Two black and white photographs were once joined and affixed to a card mount. Photographer's details handwritten across lower right corner in brown ink. Handwritten text on reverse in black ink. Stained with emulsion peeling off surface. Section of card mount missing and scratched.

More Information