Black & white photograph showing the construction of steel framework for the new Eastern Annexe, being built as part of Stage 4 of the Master Plana, taken on 29 June 1973. The new Eastern Annexe was constructed between April 1972 and March 1973, on the site of the former Stadium Annexe which had been built in October 1956 and was demolished in 1972.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View of steel framework being erected on the site of the former Stadium Annexe, as part of the construction of the new Eastern Annexe in 1972. Only the upper sections of the framework are visible, standing above the roofline of the original Exhibition Buildings.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 01/2000
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Printed below photograph: Master Plan Stage 4 Development of old Eastern/ Annexe site April 24th, 1972 - March 7th, 1973 - steel/ work behind Director's office June 29th 1972.
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
248 mm (Width), 160 mm (Height)
Buildings, Construction, Construction Works, Exhibitions: Melbourne International, 1880-1881, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1970-1979