Summary

Black & white photograph showing a trench of preparation for the pouring of foundation blocks for the new Eastern Annexe, during construction, in 1973.

Previously, the Stadium Annexe had stood on this site since 1956. It was demolished in 1972 in preparation for a series of new developments at the eastern end of the Exhibition Buildings, including the new Eastern Annexe and later, Centennial Hall.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View of a trench with an earthernware pipe cutting across it, and other pipes at the far end, with four, large steel bolts in the foreground which would shortly become part of the foundations for the Eastern Annexe, Exhibition Building.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

Significance

The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information