Summary

Black & white photograph of the eastern wall of the Stadium Annexe in 1971, prior to its demolition in April the following year. The eastern wall is the exterior western wall of the original Eastern Annexe of the Exhibition Buildings, built in 1879 and used as one of the machinery annexes during the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition. In the mid-twentieth century, the Royale Ballroom was located in the southern end of the Eastern Annexe.

The Stadium Annexe was built at the rear of the Exhibition Buildings, running east-west off the Eastern Annexe, in October 1956. It was demolished in 1972 as part of the redevelopment of the Eastern Annexe site, following the demolition of the northern end of the Annexe throughout August and September 1971.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View from inside the Stadiuam Annexe looking towards the east wall. A sign is visible on the right of the wall which reads 'Public Telephones'.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

Significance

The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information