Summary

Colour photograph of the western wall of the new Eastern Annexe, which replaced the Stadium Annexe, in 1982.

The Stadium Annexe was built at the rear of the Exhibition Buildings, running east-west off the Eastern Annexe, in October 1956. It was demolished in 1972 as part of the redevelopment of the Eastern Annexe site, following the demolition of the northern end of the Annexe throughout August and September 1971. The new Eastern Annexe was built alongside Centennial Hall, throughout late 1979 into 1980.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View from inside the new Eastern Annexe looking towards the west wall. A doorway on the far wall, the west wall, leads through into the northern transept of the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building, and through to the Western Annexe and restaurant.

Physical Description

A colour print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

Significance

The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information