Colour photograph looking west towards Rathdowne street from the rear of Centennial Hall, on the site of the former Eastern Annexe, in 1982. The northern end of the Eastern Annexe was demolished in late 1971, and the following year the Stadium Annexe was demolished. The southern end of the Eastern Annexe was finally demolished in 1977 to make way for the new Centennial Hall.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View looking along a street that runs east-west at the rear of Centennial Hall, the Royal Exhibition Building, showing some cars parked in the left middleground, and a full northern carpark reflected in the glass facade of Centennial Hall.
A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 01/2000
Place & Date Depicted
Printed below photograph: Same site 1982.
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
251 mm (Width), 201 mm (Height)
Buildings, Car Parks, Conventions, Exhibitions: Melbourne International, 1880-1881, Exterior Views, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1980-1989