Black & white photograph of the entrance to the eastern annexe, formerly known as the Stadium Annexe, from the Great Hall in 1971.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View through a wide doorway leading into the eastern annexe (formerly Stadium Annexe) from the Great Hall in 1971. Through the doorway a stairwell can be seen overhead with fluoresecent light fitting fixed under the stairs. There is a decorative archway in the background and a wooden floor throughout. In the foreground a wood panelled wall can be seen with a fire extinguisher fixed to the wall to the right of the doorway. Above the doorway a large sign reads: "Royale Ballroom, Director, and Trust Office Turn Right" with an arrow pointing to the right.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information