Black & white photograph looking eastwards towards Nicholson street showing the rear of the new 'Residency' in April 1972, following the demolition of the Eastern Annexe the previous year. The old 'Residency' was built in 1879, alongwith the rest of the original Exhibition Building. The 'Residency' was first occupied by the Secretary of the Exhibition Trustees in 1889, and subsequently by later secretaries until 1921. The old 'Residency' was demolished between 31 August and 30 September 1971 by Whelan the Wrecker.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View looking eastwards across the northern carpark towards the new 'Residency' in April 1972, following the removal of the Eastern Annexe the previous September. A row of cars can be seen parked at the rear wall of the 'Residency'.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Printed below photograph: Exposure of new rear sun room of "The Residency" - April 1972.
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
2426 mm (Width), 198 mm (Height)