Black & white photograph of the now largely demolished old 'Residency' situated in the northern end of the eastern annexe, looking south on 30 September 1971, almost after demolition work had commenced. The old 'Residency' was built in 1879, alongwith the rest of the original Exhibition Building. The 'Residency' was first occupied by the Secretary of the Exhibition Trustees in 1889, and subsequently by later secretaries until 1921. The old 'Residency' was demolished between 31 August and 30 September 1971 by Whelan the Wrecker.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View looking south at the northern end of the Eastern Annexe and the old 'Residency', in the final stages of demolition. A lone car is parked in the foreground, while a bulldozer can be seen to the right of image, used for clearing the masonry rubble. The southern end of the Annexe is still partly standing, as is part of the eastern wall facing Nicholson street.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Printed below photograph: The old "Residency" prior to demolition [sic] - September 30th 1971.
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
250 mm (Width), 181 mm (Height)
Buildings, Demolition Equipment, Exhibitions: Melbourne International, 1880-1881, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1970-1979