Summary

Black & white photograph of the old 'Residency' situated in the northern end of the eastern annexe, looking south the day before demolition commenced. The old 'Residency' was built in 1879, alongwith the rest of the original Exhibition Building. The 'Residency' was first occupied by the Secretary of the Exhibition Trustees in 1889, and subsequently by later secretaries until 1921. The old 'Residency' was demolished between 31 August and 30 September 1971 by Whelan the Wrecker.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View looking west at the northern end of the Eastern Annexe and the old 'Residency', about to be demolished. Cars and parked in the carpark in the foreground, while the new 'Residency' is visible behind the corrugated iron fence, immediately to the east of the annnexe. The crane involved in the demolition of the annexe is just visible in the background, towering above the annexe.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

Significance

The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information