View of the main Exhibition Building from the south-west corner of the Carlton Gardens near Rathdowne and Victoria Streets at the time of the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition held at the Exhibition Buildings, between 1 October 1880 and 30 April 1881.
Although the Exhibition Building itself had only been recently constructed, the foundation stone being laid in February 1879, the gardens themselves include more mature plants that were part of the original garden layout established by Edward LaTrobe Bateman in the mid 1850s.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
International Exhibition Melbourne, 1880: view of the Exhibition Building looking north-east from the corner of Rathdowne and Victoria Streets.
A black & white silver gelatin print of an original photograph taken by Ludovico Hart on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Printed below photograph: The Exhibition Building Melbourne/ south-west from Carlton Gardens 1880.
Type of item
242 mm (Width), 184 mm (Height)
Buildings, Exhibitions, Exhibitions: Melbourne International, 1880-1881, Gardens, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1879-1899