Summary

Black & white photograph of the landscaping of the Centennial Gardens taken from the eastern side of Centennial Hall looking south-east to the Grollo Fountain, and Royal Terrace and the corner of Nicholson Street and Gertrude Street in the background, in January 1981.

The Grollo Fountain was presented by the well-known Melbourne construction company of Luigi Grollo & Sons in 1980 to commemorate the centenary of the Exhibition Buildings. It was designed by Mobelt, Digregorio & Associates, recyled 25,000 litres of water per minute and cost $500,000.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. The image is taken from the base of one of the pathways looking south-east to the Grollo Fountain, in January 1981. A lamppost stands to the right of the path with a parkbench situated on the left closer towards the fountain. In the background can be seen Royal Terrace on the corner of Nicholson Street and Gertrude Street. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

More Information