Summary

Black & white photograph of the landscaping of the Centennial Gardens taken from the southern end of what was previously the Nicholson Street carpark, looking north, in January 1981. The photo shows the completed Centennial Gardens with the Nicholson Street entrance in the immediate foreground, with the Grollo Fountain in the right background.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. The image is taken from the south-east, looking north, in January 1981 and shows the area previously covered by the Nicholson Street carpark, now landscaped into the Centennial Gardens. In the immediate foreground is the Nicholson Street entrance with the security bollards installed, Centennial Hall in the left middlegroud and the Grollo Fountain visible in the gardens at the right background. The buildings on the eastern side of Nicholson Street are reflected in silhouette in the Hall's glass facade. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

More Information