Black & white aerial photograph of the Exhibition Building from the north east, taken in 1956. The photograph shows the Exhibition Building, annexes, buildings used by the British Migrant Reception Centre and the area where the Aquarium building was destroyed by fire in 1953.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
An aerial view of the Exhibition Building showing the Great Hall, eastern and western annexes and British Migrant Reception Centre. Buildings and cars on Rathdowne Street can be seen in the top, right-hand corner of the photograph.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
The Exhibition Building Melbourne/ from north-east 1956/ In background: the Great Hall, former area of Aquarium building destroyed/ by fire January 28th 1953, Country Roads Board and Motor Registration/ Branch offices, north western pavilion (Transport Regulations Board/ offices), in foreground: Royale Ballroom, Australian War Museum office,/ White Ensign Club which replaced Youth Club in 1951, "The Residency";/ centre. British Migrant Reception Centre from 1948 to 1962.
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
240 mm (Width), 190 mm (Height)
Aerial Photographs, Buildings, Exterior Views, Migration & Settlement, Photography, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1960-1969, Royal Exhibition Building: Migrant Reception Centre