Photograph album containing 94 images of the Royal Exhibition Building and grounds taken between 1952 and 1977. This is the second of 10 volumes collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a pictorial history of the Exhibition Building from 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and was put together over the following few years.

This album contains photographs of building works and internal and external views taken between 1952 and 1977. External views include the old and new eastern annexe and Jika Jika Bar. Internal views include inside the old and new eastern annexe, the Convention Centre, Pickwick Inn in the Great Hall, 'Ratskeller' in the western annexe, Jika Jika Bar and the Royale Ballroom.

Various events, occupants and uses of the Exhibition Building and grounds are documented in this album, including the stadium for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, the aquarium and fernery and the opening of the Convention Centre.

Physical Description

Large, dark brown, vinyl-covered photograph album with engraved metal plate affixed to the front. The album contains 94 photographs, 69 are black & white and 25 are colour. Printed captions are adhered to the cardboard pages above or below each image.

More Information