Photograph of MF35 tractor fitted with pipe laying attachment.

Part of a collection of photographs, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature relating to Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd and its predecessors. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay, at Ballarat, in the late 1880s, and by 1895 was operating as the Sunshine Harvester Works. After relocating to Braybrook Junction (later renamed 'Sunshine') on the western outskirts of Melbourne, during 1904-1907, the business rapidly developed into the largest agricultural implement works in the southern hemisphere. In 1930, H.V. McKay merged with the Australian operations of the Canadian firm, Massey Harris Ltd, of Toronto, becoming H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd. In 1955, this company was fully absorbed into the growing multinational corporation that became Massey Ferguson Ltd in 1958.

Description of Content

A man wearing Massey Ferguson overalls driving a MF35 tractor fitted with a pipe laying attachment. Rear view showing pipe in trench and slit in ground where tine has been. The tractor is fitted with caterpillar tracks over tyres. A dog looks on with interest whilst another man watches.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph

More Information