Sepia toned photograph of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd shop in Toowoomba, Queensland, circa 1920.
There is a large 'Baker & Rouse' sign on the awning, indicating that either these products were still being sold under that name here, or that the community were fond of the history of the organisation, because Baker & Rouse became Australian Kodak Limited in 1908, and the company didn't become known as Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd (as is written on the awning also) until 1920.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
Image of a shop exterior with two glass display windows flanking a central doorway. Sign reads 'Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd Incorp Baker & Rouse'
Sepia toned photographs on medium weight paper, portrait format
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
95 mm (Width), 188 mm (Height)