Black and white photograph of a Kodak shop interior, circa 1900. This is likely the Kodak Limited store in the Block Arcade, Collins Street, Melbourne.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
Image of a shop interior, display counters and cases. Photographs hanging on walls. Chairs for clients to be served in. There are columns at the rear of the store with elaborate paint and plasterwork above them. The letter 'K' is painted in the centre of wall and ceiling friezes.
Black and white silver gelatin print on medium weight paper, landscape format
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Block Arcade, Collins Street, Melbourne, Greater Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1900
It is unclear where exactly this photograph was taken but the interior fit out closely resembles that of Kodak's Melbourne Block Arcade store on Collins Street.
Photograph, Black & White
Text, handwritten reverse: '1898?/(Cyclone Cameras).'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
204 mm (Width), 154 mm (Height)