These four soup bowls were found stacked together, unbroken, in the wreckage of Bill Coppinger's home at Mount Disappointment destroyed in the Kilmore East Bushfire on 7 February 2009. The kitchen was on the lower level and had another floor with a parents' retreat above it. There was another floor below. All of these collapsed, yet these bowls survived unbroken.
This is part of the Victorian Bushfires Collection, which includes a number of interviews with Bill Coppinger and a large range of fire affected artefacts from his destroyed home.
Four white vitreous ceramic soup bowls; found stacked together.
Statement of Significance;
This is a story of good fire preparation but ultimate defeat before an overwhelming firestorm. On 7 February 2009, the donor watched closely as the Kilmore East Fire jumped the Hume Highway and moved across to the base of his property on Mount Disappointment. He was aware of the fire's movements, had vast amounts of water and was properly prepared to 'stay and defend', but his house, sheds and all of their contents were destroyed. He lost his dog and very nearly lost his life.
These bowls also demonstrate the random destructiveness of the fires, in which an entire house could be lost but four fragile ceramic bowls survive in the midst of the devastation.
Donation from Mr Bill Coppinger, 2009
Date of Event
Inscribed on base: "Microwave and Dishwasher Safe, Porcelain, Made in China".
Type of item