Black and white photograph taken featuring an engineering representative at work in a portable site office during the building construction period of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd Coburg factory in March 1958.
During this period of construction, engineers, design draftsmen, tradesmen and supervisory staff were present on site to represent the companies involved, including, the Builder, Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd; the Architect, HA & FS Norris & Associates; the Building Consulting Engineers, John Connell & Associates; the Mechanical Engineering Consultants, Lobley, Triedel & Partners; and Kodak Australasia staff. Some had permanent presence in portable offices and work sheds, whilst others attended on a daily or ad hoc basis. Kodak staff attended on a daily basis until about June, 1958, when a temporary office was established on the first floor of the partly finished west wing of Building 3 Emulsion Coating in the middle of all the busy activities around them. Later on, when Kodak tradesmen were involved in equipment installation, a temporary workshop type shed was provided.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
View inside a portable office with a man on the telephone at a desk surrounded by drawings and a tin of 'Sunshine' biscuits. The calender on the wall is showing, March, 1958.
Black and white silver gelatin photograph; portrait format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, 6" X 8", Black & White
Text, stamped, reverse: '34'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
163 mm (Width), 216 mm (Height)