Colour photograph of a group of four men standing in the staff amenities area set up for the official opening of the Kodak factory complex at Coburg, 14 April 1961.
The staff amenities area was used for functions and exhibitions as well as operating as a staff canteen.
Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
Colour image of the interior of a large room. Numerous rows of orange / brown chairs set out in two columns with a central aisle. Four men in foreground. Groups of men in the background. Display panels along back wall, which is wood panelled. Windows at back left.
Colour photograph, printed on medium weight paper with a white border, landscape format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, 5" x 4", Colour
Back, stamped in rows, blue ink: 'EKc' (contained in a circle)
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
128 mm (Width), 90 mm (Height)