Colour aerial photograph of the Kodak factory complex at Coburg, 1965.
The single storey building at the front to the right is Building 6, the Distribution Centre. The building behind this to the left is Building 5, where sheet films were produced. The single storey building behind this is Building 4 where roll films were produced. Building 3, the building behind Building 4 is the Emulsion Coating Building. The multi-storey building to the far right of the complex is Building 8, the Head Office. To the rear of the complex where the chimney is located is Building 11, the Power House. To the left of the Powerhouse are the engineering workshops. The building at the back of the complex, close to the suburban housing is Building 20, the Processing Plant.
Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
Photograph of an aerial view of a factory complex. In the foreground is suburban housing. In the middle ground is the factory complex featuring single storey hangers as well as multi-storey buildings, car parks and to the rear of the complex a chimney and water cooling towers. In the background of the image is more suburban housing and some farmland.
Colour photograph printed on medium weight paper with a white border.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Back, stamp: 'E 205/THIS IS A/KODACOLOR PRINT/Made by Kodak March, 1965'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
128 mm (Width), 89 mm (Height)
Beale, N, The History of Kodak in Australia, Coburg, no date. [Link 1] "A Brief Process Based Site History, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg Plant" Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2007 Pamphlet, "Milestones in the History of Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd", Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., 1985 Leggio, Angeletta "A History of Australia's Kodak Manufacturing Plant", Topics in Photographic Preservation, Volume Twelve, 2007