Summary

Black and white silver gelatin photograph, view looking north-east from the roof of Electricity Sub-Station #2 towards the Power House, Buildign 11, under construction, Kodak factory, Coburg, April 1958.

The first stage of the Power House building consisted of a Machine Hall, with north and south annexes and a single cooling tower. This is a distant view of the whole building where all the steel framework appears to have been completed, and where the construction of the first cooling tower is underway. Builders' huts are scattered around the site in the foreground and a row of shops and residences in Elizabeth Street can be seen in the far right background.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.

Description of Content

Image of the Power House looking north-east and across the construction site from the roof of electricity sub-station #2. The steel frame of the complete building appears to have been completed and the installation of a cooling tower can be seen to be underway. Builders' huts can be seen scattered around the site while a row of shops and residences appear in the far right background.

Physical Description

Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.

More Information